Search in the blog

2leep.com

Sunday movie mania: Bright star and Agora

 
The drama based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats' untimely death at age 25. 
 
Beautiful, soft and dreamy are the first words that are coming to my mind after have watching this movie last night.
Every single frame of this story is like a photo or a paint, and they recreate so well the uniqueness of the immortal verses of John Keats.

 
A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.

An ante litteram modern woman, who wanted to fight ignorance and violence with the strenght of intelligence, is portraited perfectly by Rachel Weisz. Very intense.

2 commenti:

faithljustice ha detto...

I saw the film when it first came out in NYC and loved Weisz' performance as Hypatia. Amenabar distorts some history in service to his art (the Library didn't end that way and Synesius wasn't a jerk), but that's what artists do. I don't go to the movies for history. For people who want to know more about the historical Hypatia, I highly recommend a very readable biography "Hypatia of Alexandria" by Maria Dzielska (Harvard University Press, 1995). I also have a series of posts on the historical events and characters in the film at my blog - not a movie review, just a "reel vs. real" discussion.

Misspenny ha detto...

Thank you so much for your comment: I find it very useful and detailed.
I discover the story of Hypatia thanks to the Agora movie, and I was fascinated by this misterious woman, so I'll surely look for the biography that you have suggested.
I've also visited your blog and I think it's very interesting: I 'll soon read your "reel vs. real" discussion, so we can share our thoughts, if you like ;)

(sorry for my not-so-perfect english!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...